180movie

Friday, November 13, 2009

"I Will..."

Pastors, in speaking about Satan's rebellion and ultimate fall, will sometimes refer to what they call the 5 "I wills" of Satan found in Isaiah 14 (which I will list in a moment).

I was reading Psalm 101 a while back, and I noticed a series of "I wills" in there as well, and I thought it interesting to contrast the two passages, since they both essentially contain 5 "I will" statements. They seem to be a contrast between "I will" statements of a righteous person, and those of the rebellious, self-loving God hater (sorry for the politically correct, watered down language ;) ). David made the first 5, Satan the second 5. Which list best reflects your heart?

Psalm 101:1-4
The 5 "I wills" of the righteous...
1) I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, I will sing (I count these two as one, since they are the same thing)
2) I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me?
3) I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
4) I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; [it] shall not cleave to me.
5) A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know wickedness.

Isaiah 14:13,14
The 5 "I wills" of Lucifer/Satan...
1) You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven;
2) above the stars of God I will set my throne on high;
3) I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north;
4) I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
5) I will make myself like the Most High.'

We all have a "will" - we were born with it. How will we exercise it? The choice is ours...

.j.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great contrast. Never put this together before. You truly have a gift for teaching. :)
Blessings friend!
Jen